Eurasian Collared Doves

<forwarded by the webmaster>

\From Barbara
From: Barbara Watkins
Subject: Birdnet Email (from the seb site)
Date: Tuesday, September 4, 2001 at 12:57:34

- ------------------------------------------------

Subject: Eurasion Collared  Doves

Message: I am finding all the discussion about the collared doves on
River Lane quite amusing.  I took a direct approach.
     On Sept. 3rd, I rang the doorbell of the house of the sightings
and talked to the owner.  Of course I was dressed in full birding
regalia, scruffy hat, binoculars in full harness, and brandishing a
tripod and scope over my shoulder.  The owner immediately identified me
as one of "them."  He asked, "Why is everyone looking at my place?"  I
assured him we were not inept government spies, but were there because
some very unusual birds had appeared on his property.  He laughed and
said, "Oh, those pigeons!  They came with the place."
     It appears he purchased the property about a year ago and also the

four doves living on the premises.  Since that time, he has fed the
birds and tried to protect them from hunters.  Still, one bird has
disappeared.  Although he mentioned two "pair," he did not say that
they have bred.  He knows the the birds were living there for a least a
year
before he bought the property, and he says they are quite tolerant of
his family.  Best times to see them are in the late afternoon on the
barn, and just before nightfall they can often be seem perched on the
telephone poles.
     He has requested that birders not go stomping through his property

as it really upsets the dogs (in case you haven't noticed.)    This
should put an end to the speculation on the "countability" of the
birds.
Barbara Watkins

Submit: Submit