ID question for the experts

Hi, I've got some hummingbirds in my yard.  They have a buffy wash on their
flanks, little rufous in the tail and when perched they have wingtips that
reach just beyond the tail. I can't see that the bill is any shorter.
In my books it says that the calliope hummingbird has wingtips longer than
the tail. I was wondering if someone more familiar with calliope and rufous
hummingbirds could tell me how good of a field mark that is.
Are juvenile rufous hummingbirds smaller than adult females?  Could a
juvenile rufous have wingtips out past the tail?
Any additional suggestions on telling the two apart would be great.  Thanks.

Eric Huish
850 E 100 N
Pleasant Grove UT
poorwill_@hotmail.com