Oquirrh Birding

Hello birders,

IN EXCHANGE FOR THE BELOW SERVICES, I offer a bird trip to the Oquirrhs, up
Coons Canyon - on Kennecott property.    Although there is probably not any
'new' birds in this area, no birding group has had the opportunity to bird
here before (that I know of).  Coon's Canyon has a small perennial stream
with scrub oak/maple along and spruce as the elevation climbs.  There has
been grazing, but no other mining activities.  As a note - elk, deer and
cougar are relatively common in this area.  We could discuss when the trip
could be, either this fall or next spring.

I need help with a Kennecott bird day at the Inland Sea Shorebird
Reserve(ISSR) on 15 September 2001 (a Saturday) 8:00 to 12:00.  For you that
don't know, the ISSR is a 3600 acre bird reserve near GSL off 8800 West and
I-80.  I have 9 ponds (around 1,000 acres) playas, and greasewood flats.

I need 10 birders to help educate Kennecott employees and take them on short
bird (mainly shorebird and waterfowl) trips to a few of the ponds and
possibly the shore of GSL near Lee Creek.  Last year I had 100 people sign
up, but only 60 show up - there may be more this year.  The employees are
very much beginners and most have no experience at all.  I need 2 birders
per group to help identify birds seen and how these people can learn birds,
their habitats, and behavior.  I also need 2 birders to help with the kids
activities - not plan them or be in charge, but identify birds and show
habitats on a junior level.  The birders and I will coordinate a week
earlier and so you could become familiar with the area.

To wet you appetite a little bit, here is a list of bird Bob Huntington and
I saw the morning of  1 Aug 2001 on a reconnaissance trip to the canyon.
I'm no mountain birder - sparrow identification gives me a rash - so this is
very preliminary, but gives an idea of what type of habitat Coon's Canyon
has.

Swainson Thrush, Junco, Lazuli Bunting, Downy woodpecker, Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Black-capped Chickadee, Rock Wren,
Brewers Sparrow, Western Wood Peewee, Coopers Hawk, Red Tail Hawk, Kestrel,
Magpie, Robin, Raven.

thanks and I hope to hear from some of you soon!  Please contact me with
questions or for volunteering - I only need 10, so after that . . . .

Ann Neville
Wetland Manager
HSEQ - ISSR
P.O. Box 6001