Phainopepla in Iron Co.

Today (7/11) along Hwy. 56 I saw a male PHAINOPEPLA along Duncan Creek at
the west end of Leach Canyon (about 13 miles west of Cedar City). I first
saw bird in flight as the road came close to the creek. Upon stopping I was
able to relocate the bird and saw it well in binoculars perched on top of
the willows. This species is very rare outside of Washington Co. in Utah and
possibly only the second Iron Co. record.

Steve Summers
Cedar City, UT