great day birding

6/30/2001

Today I took the wife and a daughter to the Bear River Bird Refuge.  The
water is sure getting low there, yet we saw some interesting things.  There
were Black Necked Stilts in great abundance, a few avocets, and other shore
birds. We didn't see any geese.  The grebes and ducks  were not too
numerous.  Lots of Pelicans.

The highlight of the day was nine Red Necked Phalaropes, and one Black
Tern.  Both lifers for all of us.  A gent from Colorado happened along as
we were viewing the Tern and Phalaropes.  He was as excited as we were. It
is always great to add another one to the life list.

We spent some time at the Hyrum Dam later in the day and added a few more
species.  Total for the day; 68 species.

cu,

jl