Re: [birdnet] since this wasn't posted when I first wrote it...let's try it again.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C0F836.E61174C0

Being a wildlife photographer who specializes in photographing the local =
birds I can offer a few suggestions.=20

Contacting the local wildlife biologist for Fish & Game, the BLM, =
Forestry,  and other similar government agencies can help you locate =
where certain species are located. Other resources are agencies that =
care for raptors or do independent studies of these animals, i.e., =
Hawkwatch International, Audubon. All can offer information and possible =
photographable bird locations. Getting to know these people is =
important. They must trust that you will not harm and that you will =
understand how to be safe around these birds.

I will caution you that photographing a nesting raptor is tricky at =
best. Depending on your focal length (a minim of 640mm) the location of =
the nest and being able to photograph it properly will be difficult. =
There will be few opportunities. If the raptor vocally starts warning =
you or acting nervous you are too close and need to back off.=20

I have witnessed both birders and photographers do stupid things to get =
a picture of a bird. However, on the whole I have found this group of =
birders to be courteous, well educated, and very knowledgeable of bird =
behavior. They do know how to safely observe birds.

It disturbs me that you felt the need to lash out at this group. The =
gentlemen merely commented that a warning had gone out about some =
"wannabe" falconers.  Now whether you agree or disagree with someone =
else's point of view you is fine when it is done appropriately. Your =
attacking language and innuendos were not appropriate.=20

I hope you find a safe nest to photograph and observe. It is also my =
hope that you think a little more about tolerance and how to disagree in =
a more appropriate fashion.

Chris Weisbender
  ----- Original Message -----=20