Black Hawks

	I have a son who grew up in Utah and birded with me before he moved back
East.  Saturday he was in Utah on business and drove to Koosharem.  When he
returned he asked me about a strange hawk he had seen--all black with broad
wings, short tail and conspicuous white band across its tail.  I showed him
a picture of a Black Hawk and he said that was definitely the bird he had
seen.  I asked him where on his trip and he wasn't sure but thought it was
between Scipio and Richfield.  It probably would have made more sense if it
had been further south but again he wasn't sure.  Two things interested me.
 When we saw the Black Hawks at Lytle Ranch a week ago, one birder who was
staying there said he thought the eggs had been destroyed and the Hawks had
abandaned their nest.  The last we saw of them they were gaining altitude
in the thermals and then headed north.  I've wondered if they have been
seen at Lytle Ranch during the past week?  The other thing that interests
me is what becomes of the birds they fledge.  Surely they would have a
tendency to return to their hatching area but obviously the parents would
not allow them to stay.  Could there possibly be more nesting sites  of
Black Hawks in Utah.  For those who travel the Scipio-Richfield road or
those who go from Auroa south, particulary in the Koosharem area, they
might just check the hawks out that they see.