Huntsville and Antelope Island

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0DA38.C8C632F0

We visited the Sage Grouse lek at the Morgan/Summit county line at about 6
a.m. yesterday and were treated to the sight of about 30 birds, mostly
males, most of which were drumming and displaying.  Wow. Also saw Cliff and
Barn swallows at a farm near Henefer, and Bank Swallows just after entering
I-84 westbound. There is a nesting osprey just before the freeway entrance.
In Huntsville we were surprised by a Common Snipe calling from a fencepost
near the four-way stop, and many Yellow Warblers all over town. We saw a
Bullock's Oriole and a Yellow-rumped Warbler near the east side of the
reservoir, and also saw Pelicans, White-faced Ibis, many Western Grebes,
GBHs, a solitary Common Merganser, and a Spotted Sandpiper on the dam. Saw
many Western Kingbirds-these were our first sightings for the year, as were
the Broad-tailed Hummingbirds.
Finally, we found the Sanderlings on the Antelope Island Causeway, though
not the Curlew Sandpiper (missed the Dunlin, as well). We did see an adult
Chukar near the visitors center, and what appeared to be three chicks on a
nearby rock. Also two Loggerhead Shrikes.

Glenda Cotter
Jack Torrey

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0DA38.C8C632F0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Huntsville and Antelope Island</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We visited the Sage Grouse lek at the =
Morgan/Summit county line at about 6 a.m. yesterday and were treated to =
the sight of about 30 birds, mostly males, most of which were drumming =
and displaying.&nbsp; Wow. Also saw Cliff and Barn swallows at a farm =
near Henefer, and Bank Swallows just after entering I-84 westbound. =
There is a nesting osprey just before the freeway entrance.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">In Huntsville we were surprised by a =
Common Snipe calling from a fencepost near the four-way stop, and many =
Yellow Warblers all over town. We saw a Bullock's Oriole and a =
Yellow-rumped Warbler near the east side of the reservoir, and also saw =
Pelicans, White-faced Ibis, many Western Grebes, GBHs, a solitary =
Common Merganser, and a Spotted Sandpiper on the dam. Saw many Western =
Kingbirds-these were our first sightings for the year, as were the =
Broad-tailed Hummingbirds.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Finally, we found the Sanderlings on =
the Antelope Island Causeway, though not the Curlew Sandpiper (missed =
the Dunlin, as well). We did see an adult Chukar near the visitors =
center, and what appeared to be three chicks on a nearby rock. Also two =
Loggerhead Shrikes</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Glenda Cotter</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Jack Torrey</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0DA38.C8C632F0--