UCB San Juan County Field Trip

Twelve Utah County Birders traveled to San Juan County on Fri/Sat, March30-31, 2001  with the primary purpose to see GUNNISON SAGE-GROUSE displaying at a Lek. After a friday evening orientation at the motel and a 5:00am saturday rendevous with the local DWR personnel, we were able to watch from a distance 12 males and at least two females strutting their wares on the ground. The birds left shortly after 6:00am so we still had the the rest of the day to look over other areas. Other birds of note included: SAGE SPARROW, PYGMY NUTHATCH, JUNIPER TITMOUSE, TURKEY VULTURE, and WESTERN BLUEBIRD.  All totaled we saw 47 species for the trip.