Utah/Nevada report for North American Birds

Hi, everybody!

It's great to be back in Utah (NOT!?!?!?).

First, I'd like to congratulate Dana on breaking my February record - it's
great to see so many birders "going crazy" in our state these days. I find
it a bit ironic that she did it this month, when my own Utah list was
exactly 0 (having spent the entire month, up until the last hour of the
28th, in Mexico). However, I can't complain about my birding month, as I
did manage to get 433 species and 25 "lifers" in Mexico. My year list for
Mexico (including my January trip) is up to 508 species right now.

On another note, those of you who subscribe to North American Birds (for
those who don't, it's a great way to see what's been happening with birds
around the country), will notice in the next issue that there is a new
reporting region for Utah and Nevada. The Utah reports will no longer be
"swamped" by all the reports from Colorado. This new UT/NV region will
allow us to report more sightings from our state and better track what's
going on with our birds.

Ted Floyd, of the Great Basin Bird Observatory in Reno, and I are the
co-editors of this new region. Naturally, Ted will be handling the Nevada
portion, and I will be doing Utah. Right now, it is time to submit your
bird observations for the winter season (1 December 2000 - 28 February
2001).

If you reported sightings to Birdnet, or to the hotline, there is probably
no need to resubmit them to me.  However, I would like to hear of all
significant Utah records that were NOT submitted to Birdnet or the Utah
Birdline. If you're in doubt as to what is significant, go ahead and send
them in, as I would rather have too many than not enough. Also, part of the
purpose of this report is to note any unusual avain activity, not just
sightings of rare birds. Therefore, items such as unusually large numbers
of common species, species out of habitat (especially if there are numerous
such incidents), and species out-of-season are of interest.

Please submit your records in phylogenetic ("checklist") order, and please
note for each species the following:

  * Location of Observation, INCLUDING COUNTY
  * Number of Birds Seen
  * Date of Observation
  * Observer(s)

Also, if you have any photographs for inclusion in the report, that would
be great.  You can send them directly to me, or you can ask me about
submitting your photographs to North American Birds instead.

Please send your Utah records and photographs to:

        Mark Stackhouse
        Westwings, Inc.
        1432 Downington Ave.
        Salt Lake City, UT 84105
        tel./fax. (801) 487-9453
        westwings@sisna.com

For Nevada records:

        Ted Floyd
        Great Basin Bird Observatory
        One East First Street, Suite 500
        Reno, Nevada 89501
        tedfloyd57@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance for your help with this work, and I look forward to
hearing from you.

Good birding!

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.