Birds of Utah Valley

Exotic Birds of the Provo / Orem Area

Eurasian Wigeon, White-fronted Goose, Varied Thrush, Wood Duck,
Glaucous Gull, Norther Shrike, Red-shouldered Hawk (N. Pygmy Owls have
been seen in many places, but nobody sees them a second time).

Here are instructions to get to the birds, grouped by I-15 exit:

1. I-15 exit #272, about13th South in Orem, University Parkway Exit,
BYU, UVSC,

Red-shouldered Hawk:
Take the University Parkway exit going west. Turn right
(north) at the first stop light (Geneva Road) and go past the UTA
Building to the first road with a street sign (about 1000 S) and turn
left (going west).  Go straight until you come to a closed gate. (at
the treatment plant).  Turn left into the plant a go right then left
around the plant office (you can ask permission to go in  at the office
so they won't lock you in or usually it's OK if you don't).  Go to the
second
road between treatment ponds and turn right.  Go around a jutting-out
building and through a gate to a gravel road.  The Red-shouldered Hawk
has been seen in the big trees around the large pond.

2. I-15 exit #268 (the one going west might be a or b or something),
Provo Center Street going WEST

Wood Ducks:
Take the Provo Center Street exit going WEST (the second one goes east)
and go to 2650 West and turn right.  Go to 220 North (you can't go any
further) and turn left.  At 2710 West turn to the right into a small
stub of a road.  The ponds are on the other side of the fence at the
end of this "road".

Northern Shrike:
Continue on Provo Center Street to 3110 West and turn left (there's a
sign for the Provo Airport).  Go less than a mile to where the road
curves right going to the airport.  Instead of taking the curve,
continue straight on a very potholed road.  Continue south on this road
for about ½ mile  -- the road will turn right and go west a couple of
blocks to a new fenced-off extension, jutting south into the lake.  The
Northern Shrike has been seen on the west side of this extension (the
Snow Bunting was seen on the SW corner, but I don't think it's there
any more).

Glaucous Gull:
Continue on Provo Center Street to the Utah Lake State Park at the end
of the road.  There's a bridge over the Provo River just before you
enter the park.  The Glaucous Gull has been seen at the mouth of the
river channel as it expands to enter the lake.

3. I-15 exit #266, Provo, University Avenue (last Provo exit as you go
south)

American Wigeon & White-fronted Goose:
There is a new traffic light after you take this exit.  Go straight at
the light heading east (past the prominent  Novell building).  Go a
about 3 or 4 blocks (on1860 S. I think) passing the East Bay Golf
Course, take  road that turns right (before you get to the bridge over
the railroad tracks -- this will take you to the east side of the golf
course).  Go on this road which curves twice, and ends up going south
(Kuhni's Road).  There will be a row of business buildings on your
right. The American Wigeon has been seen in the channel between
these buildings and the golf course.  The White-fronted Goose has been
seen with the Canada Geese in this same area.

Varied Thrush:

Continue east on the road that passes Novell and the East Bay Golf
Course (1850 South maybe) and cross the two bridges over the railroad
tracks.  This will take you to the light on State Street (going from
Provo to Springville).  Go left at the light and continue to 1640 South
and turn left going back toward the railroad tracks. Right before the
railroad tracks turn right and go about 1/2 block to a kind of parking
area.  The Varied Thrush has been seen in the area to the east and
southeast of this parking area.

Welcome to Utah Valley,
Milton

http://auctions.yahoo.com/