Salt Lake Birders Outing

A group of Salt Lake Birders went north today to B.R. Refuge, Ogden Nature
Center, and Farmington Bay.  The B.R. Refuge was ice, ice everywhere, VERY
little open water and little to see other than hundreds of Larks and Pipits
on the entrance road and dikes. We looked in vain for the Varied Thrush at
the Ogden Nature Center (after scrutinizing dozens of Robins).  We saw no
owls at F.B.R. but the female Longtailed Duck is still living a solitary
existence on the west side of the dike at the causeway.  Tundra Swans were
strung out on the ice east of the dike.  Four Avocets were at the south end
of the dike. Also, for the last few days an American Bittern has been
presiding over the little pond and marshy area just south of the
toilet/parking area on the east side of the entrance road.  Hugh Gillilan