Bird Sightings

 Five Utah County Birders Spent a cold day in Daggett County 12/27/00. It was an interersting day. We birded around Flaming Gorge Dam, Dutch John, and Manila. Best of the 27 species of birds seen were a mixed fock of BLACK[14] and GRAY- CROWNED ROSY[2] FINCHES at a feeder in Dutch John, EVENING GROBEAK[12]- Dutch John, and a PYGMY OWL and NORTHERN SHRIKE in Manila. There seems to be at least one pygmy owl in each county this winter!!
  On another and even more important birding note, last friday [12/22/00] I spent three hours at the Bountiful Land Fill west of Bountiful. There are several 1000 gulls wintering here. I found a gull that I believe is a possible ICELAND GULL. It is a fist year bird and matches all characteristics. It can be compared with THAYERS, HERRING, RING-BILLED, CALIFORNIA, and now a GLAUCOUS. Keith Evans led a party to check it out on 12/27/00,  and they also "nailed" the identification. We need good documentation and photos of this bird because it will be a first Utah record. Go to work!! Let us know what you find.