Provo Area Birding

     I went around a couple spots in Provo for birds today and saw a total of 40 species of birds, some of the highlights were a Spotted Sandpiper at Utah Lake State Park, not at all common this time of year, also there was a late Clark's Grebe at the state park with and Eared Grebe there as well with some winter divers like Buffleheads, Common Goldeneye and Common Merganser.
       Some other not so common winter birds were found where Center Street and the road that heads to the airport meet. There were some lingering Brown-headed Cowbirds and Yellow-headed Blackbirds mixed in with a huge flock of mostly Brewer's Blackbirds with some Red-wings in for good mix.
       It still was a great day even though I didn't find any true rarities, but still good to see some straglers hanging on for maybe the Provo Christmas Bird Count.

  KC Childs