Provo CBC

Birders,
Some of you may have been wondering about the date and
time of the Provo CBC this year.  It will be on
Saturday, December 17 from dawn until dusk.  For those
who wish to go owling it will begin sooner than dawn,
as I am sure many of you know who have gone before.
There is a meeting at the Bean Museum on Wednesday,
December 14 where much of the finalization of times
and places will occur.
In the past I have tried calling people and assigning
them areas within the count circle before that
meeting.  This year due to some events beyond my
control I am going to try using the internet to
encourage people to contact me if they are interested
in participating in the Provo count.  So, please
e-mail me and let me know where within the circle you
would like to be assigned and with whom you would like
to go.  If you like the area you have been assigned
before and you feel that you know it well and would
like to stay there, then let me know so I don't assign
somebody your area.  If you would like to go with the
same individuals you have gone with before then let me
know that as well.  I would like to keep the group
size between 2 and 4.  If you would prefer to be a
feeder watcher instead of going into the field then
please let me know that,too.  Last year there were
five people who elected to observe their feeders.  I
would like to double that number, so let others know
the date of the count.  So far, only two count areas
within the circle have been "spoken for"--and those
are the Lake Shore area south of Provo Bay and the
lake front from Utah Lake State Park north to the UTA
bus compound.
I am teaching part time at a new charter school just
north of the UVSC campus on 800 South in Orem.  The
principal has agreed to let me use our lunch room for
the compilation of the count results on the night of
the 17th.  One of the hallmarks of our Provo count,I
think, is the food and socializing that occurs after
the count is over.  It is just "neat" (for lack of a
better word) to talk about the good birds we saw,
enjoy good food and renew old (and make new)
acquaintances.  Please plan on bringing something to
snack on that night.  We can talk more about types of
refreshments on the organizational night at the
museum.
Also, last, but certainly not least, this will be my
34th year of organizing and compiling this Provo
count.  We need some new blood, because mine is
running out.  If you have a hidden desire to be a
count compiler (and get your name in a national
publication, for what that's worth), plan on helping
me this year so you can take over next.
By the way, the address of the school where we will
compile the results is Utah Academy of Sciences, 940
West 800 South, Orem.  It is just a single portable
east of where the Vineyard Elementary School used to
be.  UVSC's Education Dept. is now housed in that
former primary school structure.
I hope this method of assigning people to their areas
works, so let me know of your intents and desires.
Thanks.
Merrill Webb, Provo CBC compiler