UCB Newsletter

Utah County Birders Newsletter May 2005

For the full newsletter ( Feather Talk, Field Trip Reports, Field Trip Photos, Random Observations, Backyard Bird of the Month and more) visit http://www.utahbirds.org/newsletters/2004-5/2005_05.html .

-----------------------------------

MAY MEETING:

Wednesday, May 11th.

Hawk Watch International will present a program on their organization, research raptor ecology, and conservation trends, as well as a brush up on raptor I.D. A live bird of prey will be a part of the presentation.

Meet at 7:00 PM in the Bean Museum Auditorium on the BYU Campus.

----------------------------------

FIELD TRIPS:

May 4th (Wed): 5:15 am - Reed has promised to lead us to Sheep Creek Canyon for another early morning bird chase. This time we will look for Blue Grouse and need to be up there at the crack of dawn to catch them booming. Meet at Sam's Club parking lot in East Bay. We might be back as early as 8:00 - 8:30 am. See you there.

May 14th (Sat): 7:30 am - Bird Walk, Skipper Bay Trail.
Meet at the trail head parking north of the Utah Lake State Park.

May 17th (Tue): 7:00 am - 3:00 pm - Dennis Shirley - Utah County Big Day.
Meet at the Springville DWR Office, 1115 North Main Street.

May 21st (Sat): 7:00 am - Dawn Chorus Sit & Listen - We?ll re-learn the spring songs that were forgotten over the winter. Meet at the Oxbow parking lot on the Provo River Walkway. Bring your bird song CDs. We?ll also go to Rock Canyon Trail Head Park for a second stop and different species.

May 28th (Sat): 6:30 am - Lu Giddings will lead a trip to Jordanelle Wetlands & Rock Cliff Campground - Deer Creek on the way.
Meet at the 800 N Orem Park and Drive by the mouth of Provo Canyon.

May 30th (Mon): 7:00 am - Bird Walk, South Fork, Provo Canyon - Vivian Park River Walk, Big Springs Trail.
Meet at Vivian Park, located about five miles into Provo Canyon.

We might be calling impromptu Bird Walks during May and June at the spur of the moment as intuition and weather dictates, so check your e-mail daily. We?ll send notices through ucbnet.