From: owner-ucbnet@utahbirds.org [mailto:owner-ucbnet@utahbirds.org] On Behalf Of Amanda Silvester Williams
Sent:
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:17 AM
To: ucbnet@utahbirds.org
Subject: [ucbnet] Spring is in the air

I decided to take a slightly longer walk this morning than I had planned and I was rewarded for my efforts.

Birds were out in droves, and actually singing. I was nearly attacked by two song sparrows that were chasing each other through territories.

But the first of the two great rewards was at the halfway point where I saw a pair of AMERICAN DIPPERS nest building.  My husband told me they nest under waterfalls, but I learned today that they also nest under overpasses.

And the second reward was at the very end of my walk at my own house.  We had four RED CROSSBILLS – three males and one female - in the junipers next to our house.  My husband was so jealous.

Other than that, it was just plain busy outside.  Magpies, kinglets, robins, house finches, crows, all enjoying the weather.

Good birding,

Amanda Williams