Northern Saw-whet Owl in Dry Canyon

I found a Northern Saw-whet Owl in Dry Canyon (Utah County) today (11-23) at about 11 A.M. about 1/4 mile up the trail. It was next to the trunk of a Scrub Oak just a foot and a half off the ground and less than 30 feet from the trail. I had my digital camera with me but the batteries went dead after just 3 pictures. Next time I?ll take extra batteries with me.

Shortly after I found the owl it tucked its head in and went to sleep. I called Grant and Dellamae Jense and they came up to see it. It woke up and gave us great views. We saw it preening, yawning and stretching. It stretched out its left wing and foot. Then, after a couple minutes, it stretched out its right wing and foot and spread its tail wide. We were very excited to get such long beautiful views of a seldom seen bird.

Because the Owl was perched in such an exposed location I?m assuming it is just migrating through or maybe was chased from a its preferred perch.

Eric Huish Pleasant Grove UT poorwill_@hotmail.com 801-360-8777