Back Yard Drama

Hi All:
This morning I was watching the activity at my feeders when I saw a
Sharpie land in the big dead tree near the feeders.  Simultaneously the
other birds evacuated the area.  I sat and watched as he surveyed the
yard.  He usually waits motionless until some careless bird comes in to
feed.  In a moment or two he stooped, in an instant to my plumb tree,
where a starling was hiding motionless hopping not to be seen.   The
Sharpie did a tight inside loop in a failed attempt to catch its prey.
The Starling made a beeline across the yard in an attempt to escape.  In
an instant the Sharpie was in hot persuit, it turned upside down, in
flight, and from underneath locked his talons into the soft breast of the
Starling.  It came to a rest immediately landing upright.  All this
happened in about 5 seconds .  It massaged its prey   with its talons and
held it until the struggling ceased.
        With the struggle over the Hawk began plucking the feathers
exposing the flesh where upon it began its feast.  It ate for a while and
then had it to pluck more feathers exposing more dinner.  It began on the
breast then went to the head and neck  From there it plucked wing
feathers with the primaries being last. Then it continued feasting.
Finally it picked up the remains and flew away.
         I was able to watch this drama from my bay window.  The size of
the Starling is a heavy load for the Sharpie so it was almost compelled
to eat it where they came down.  With the energy from the feast and the
reduced weight (feathers gone) and the ease of handling  what was left it
was able to take it away.
Reed

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!