New Year Birds in Utah County

On the first day of the new year, three members of the Finnish
contingency, Tuula, Leena and Milton (adopted Finns count too), went on
a little birding excursion and found some amazingly good birds.  Here
are the highlights:

Cedar Waxwings (a dozen of so) at the Provo Cemetery -- NW corner

Greater (6) and Lesser (2) Yellowlegs near the "Night-Heron Island" at
East Bay

American Tree Sparrows  between the second Springville exite and Swede
Lane on the north side of the road in tall bush by the fields.

Harris's Sparrow the "Dennis' silage pit"

Male Wood Duck at Salem Pond

Hooded Merganser, also at Salem Pond

Lewis's Woodpeckers (6) east of Salem in the regular spot

American Pitit at Valtec along the stream

Female Wood Duck at the pond at Valtec (NW of Springville)

We got 43 species between 10 am and 2 pm on New Years Day, but besides
the pretty good winter numbers, I thought we got some very nice birds
to start out the new year.

Happy New Year,
Milton

http://search.yahoo.com/top2003