Tree sparrows

I went around the airport dike yesterday (Su 11.24.02  around noon) and
thought I saw a swamp sparrow. I wasn't sure so I called Milton and we
went back in the afternoon. The wind was blowing as the storm was
approaching by then and we saw nothing except a red-breasted merganser in
the moat.
This morning I called Dennis and he went down and located a couple of
tree sparrows before I got there around 10 am. They were in a flock of
white-crowns along the east-west stretch between the new extension and
the SW corner about half way down feeding on rabbit brush seeds on the
road. My sparrow yesterday might have been a tree sparrow, but I'm still
thinking it was different, because the top of the head was darker, not
rufous, and had a lighter median stripe.
So, if you go down to look for the tree sparrows, keep your eye peeled
for a possible swamp sparrow. I'd love to add it to my Utah list if
confirmed. Also in the moat: a female hooded merganser yeasterday and two
common mergansers today with the red-breasted. A great horned owl was
roosting in a tree on the south side of the road today.
Good luck  -  please post   ~    Tuula