Forwarded Message - Solitary Sandpiper?

From: "MICHAEL SCHANTZ" <michealschantz@msn.com>
To: <slbnet@utahbirds.org>
Subject: Solitary Sandpiper?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:18:04 -0700

Folks:

I need help on this one.  After the GSLA outing to the Shorebird
preserve this morning, I got I fair look at a Sandpiper that that was
quite dark on the back and light in the belly.  Problem is that with
the rain/snow, it was difficult see enough detail to differentiate much
further.
Overall impression and bill size would lead me to guess Solitary.
However, I had to leave before I could get it dialed in.  If anyone
cares to check the bird out, it was working the north edge of the small
pond just east of the Visitors Center on the I-80 frontage road at 7200
west.  Note that there is a pond on the north side of the frontage road
immediately in front of the Visitors Center.  The pond in which I saw
the Sandpiper is immediately east of the one in front of the VC.

Good Birding - Mike S.