Jaeger?? (Salt Lake Co.)

I hesitated in sending this as it seems so incredulous (and out of season as well!) but I think I saw a Jaeger sp. this morning along the Jordan River Parkway north of 106th South.  I was about 200 feet north of the 2nd set of wood rails that mark the trail.  If you get to the 2.5 mile marker, you've gone too far.
It was at 8:45 AM and I was walking north along the trail.  I saw a bird with a large wingspan circling above the river.  After a couple of "What in the heck is that???", I decided to get studying it.  It was dark on the back side, had a gull like head, light undersides, and a "bridle" of white under the chin.  The wingspan was about the same size as that of some geese that flew by shortly afterwards.  I did not notice any long central tail feathers.
It circled above the river 3 or 4 times, then dropped down to the river, when I lost sight of it due to the brush along the Jordan River.  When it came back into view, it headed northeast in a broad circle, and I finally lost it as it went to the north of the large building visible from the trail.
Keep your eyes open for this bird as I sure would appreciate a 2nd opinion!!!
Good Birding on Good Friday!!!
Bruce