Dixie Birder Outing

    Friday, a small (2) group of birders went about the business of
checking up on and cleaning out several nest boxes near the Kolob
Fingers area of the Zion NP. After a couple of hours of poking our noses
into smelly old nest boxes we gave ourselves a treat and birded Ash
Creek from the reservoir to the Mountain Springs water district
property.  This area is  a delightful stretch of riparian habitat among
the prevailing P-J forest and yielded a very nice selection of bird
species which are listed here: Mourning Dove, American Robin, Western
Kingbird, Black-headed Grosbeak, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker,
Northern Flicker, Western Wood -Peewee, Southwestern Willow Flycatcher,
Ash-throated Flycatcher, Townsend's Solitaire, Cooper's Hawk, Common
Raven, Lesser, Goldfinch, Black-capped Chickadee, Juniper Titmouse,
Gambel's Quail, White-breasted Nuthatch, Phainopepla, Turkey Vulture,
Scrub Jay, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Broad-tailed Hummingbird,
Black-chinned Hummingbird, Lark Sparrow, Black-throated Gray Warbler,
Bushtit, Lazuli Bunting, Spotted Towhee, Blue Grosbeak and Western
Tanager