Utah Birds

Dear St. George Birders,

I am very grateful to have had two extremely helpful responses to my
request for information about birding the St. George and National Parks
areas, and for advice on locating our target birds for this trip.  I have
also received a copy of D. E. McIvor's "Utah Birds" which dovetails nicely
with the information that the respondents shared.

So far, it has been suggested that I try Cedar Breaks NM (Alpine Pond
Trail) and Brian Head Peak for the Three-toed Woodpecker; Cedar Breaks
(non-specific), the road to the summit of Brian Head peak, and the Brian
Head ski area for Black Rosy Finch;  Trails in Zion NP (especially the
Pa'Rus Trail) for Juniper Titmouse; and roads near Otter Creek Reservoir
for Greater Sage Grouse.  Could anyone be more specific about the latter
species and the suggested location?  Does anyone have additional
suggestions about any of the locations mentioned so far, or any other
possible locations for these target birds?

Finally, I didn't get any suggestions for Great Gray Owl--does that mean
it's out of the realm of probability for this trip?

Thank you all very much,
Florence Sanchez
UC Santa Barbara