Washington County Birds

Hello,
Yesterday (4/30), Kevin Wheeler, Larry Tripp, and I decided to spend a "Big
Day" birding in Washington County.  We started at Oak Grove before daybreak
and ended at Lytle Ranch after dark...and birded everywhere we could in
between. We had a great time and saw a total of 155 Species. We did
particularly well on waterfowl with 16 species (well for Washington County
this time of year). Also we did well with shorebirds (15 species; good in
Wa. Co. any time of year!), Warblers (10), and Sparrows (12).  We had five
species of Pigeons/Doves... and missed the Rock Pigeon.  We had several
other somewhat surprising misses including Greater Roadrunner (which seem
especially scarce this spring), Western Bluebird, Townsend's Solitaire,
Juniper Titmouse, Bushtit, etc. etc. There were not high numbers of fresh
spring migrants around, but we saw just enough (ONE) of several new
arrivals, including: Gray Flycatcher, Dusky Flycatcher, Gray Vireo,
MacGillivray's Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Summer Tanager, and Blue Grosbeak.

Other highlights included:
Cattle Egret (3) at Quail Creek State Park (thank you Charlie)
Blue-winged Teal on the SR-9 Sewage Ponds (there were TEN present this
morning...obviously these birds do not realize they are 'rare' around here)
Swainson's Hawk (6-8) in the Washington Fields
Snowy Plovers (5) at Sand Hollow State Park
Solitary Sandpiper at Tonaquint and Red Hills
Sanderling (4) at Sand Hollow
Semipalmated Sandpiper at Hela Seegmiller Park, Washington Fields
Anna's Hummingbird (male) along road below Oak Grove

Enjoy the Spring,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT