Birding Dixie

Well now! That thar "Purdy Woman" enjoyed some southern hospitality this past week.

First off she stopped by some of our local waterin' holes. At Quail she spotted the Pacific Loon to which she referenced. It was with a Common Loon. At the Sewage Ponds she came across some Red-necked and Wilson Phalaropes in Spring plumage.

We joined forces on Saturday for a wind blown day in the West desert, specifically at Lytle Ranch. Our first stop was at the crossing of highway 91 and the Santa Clara River. There she saw a Lucy's and a Yellow Warbler.

Our next stop was at Utah Hill. There we found a Black-throated Gray Warbler and several Blue-gray Gnatcatchers.

At Lytle we had an encounter with a Common Black Hawk which was close enough for Kristin to scratch it's belly. Recovering from that momentous occasion, we also saw a Bell's Vireo and another Lucy's Warbler. We watched a Roadrunner catch lunch, many Ash-throated Flycatchers doing their thing, and several more Blue-gray Gnatcatchers not catching gnats.

The Lucy's Warbler, Bell's Vireo and Common Black-Hawk were all lifers for her. Yes there were other birds, but these were the frosting.

How was the trip home Kristin?

Many folk ask when do the Lesser Nighthawks come to town? Well, how about today? This was the first sighting this year at SunRiver. There were three. As there were also three fuzzy goslings on the pond at SunRiver with mom and dad.

The weather is warm, the greens are great and the Toady wart-faces are singing like crazy at night. All is well in Dixie.

Dixie Willie
St. Gorgeous