Kolob Reservoir Birds

Spent some time at Kolob Reservoir this weekend. I did not do any serious
birding but I was lucky enough to see a Zone-tailed Hawk. I have been
looking at just about every Turkey Vulture I've seen since Rick saw and
photographed the Zone-tailed a few weeks ago. It finally paid off. I saw
one flying over the Reservoir on Sunday afternoon. Later I saw another (or
probably the same bird) about a mile south of the Reservoir. I got a good
look at it both times. It was with 4-5 Turkey Vultures. It was remarkably
similar to the vultures but the tail was unmistakable.

I saw a few other species including an Osprey, Warbling Vireo, Western
Wood Pewee, Black-headed Grosbeak, Song Sparrow (call only), Yellow
Warbler and a pair of nesting Tree Swallows collecting vegatation for
their nest cavity in an Aspen tree.

John Schijf