Red Cliffs' trip to the Henderson Viewing Ponds

March 15th, 8 Red Cliffs birders, intrepid as always, braved wind and rain for a day of birding at the Henderson Viewing Ponds. As is our custom, on our journey we stopped at the Glendale bridge for a break and to see what might be foraging in the vegetation below.  No birds, but we did run into birders from the Las Vegas chapter, Red Rock, on their way north to the Overton WR. Fun!

The Henderson ponds produced their usual fine array of waterfowl and song birds endemic to ponds and marshes.  Everyone got good looks at Common Moorhens, White-faced Ibises, Long-billed Dowitchers, Marsh Wrens and Abert's Towhees. Included amongst the Ring-billed and California Gulls was a nice little Bonapart's Gull.  Everyone had their favorite species, the author's was a fine, little, male Ruddy Duck in breeding plumage who paraded about, bobbing his head.  Many thanks to our trip leader, Kevin Wheeler!

43 species seen were: Pied-billed Grebe, Eared Grebe, Great Egret, Gadwell, Mallard, Cinnamon Teal, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck, Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk, Peregrine Falcon, Common Moorhen, American Coot, Killdeer, American Avocet, Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Snipe, Bonapart's Gull, Ring-billed Gull, California Gull, Rock Dove, Mourning Dove, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Say's Phoebe, Common Raven, Tree Swallow, Rough-winged Swallow,Verdin, Bewick's Wren, Marsh Wren, American Pipit, Yellw-rumped Warbler, Abert's Towhee, Song Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, White-Crowned Sparrow, Red-Winged Blackbird and the Great-tailed Grackle.