Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at Lytle Ranch

This morning, (1/25), Larry Tripp, Kevin Wheeler, and I went to Lytle Ranch
(Washington County, UT). Larry located an interesting sapsucker in the
orchard at Lytle last weekend.  Our primary goal was to study and try to
photograph this bird.  We relocated the bird right away (working its
sapwells on the darkest tree in the orchard), and were able to study it
through a spotting scope. We also managed to take a few digital photos
through the scope. I am now rather convinced it is an adult male
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. It has absolutely no red on the nape, a red throat
framed with black, including thick black malar stripes. Overall the nape and
face are very pale (extensively white) compared to a Red-naped Sapsucker. It
looks like this sapsucker may be wintering.
Other than this sapsucker, bird activity at Lytle was very limited.  Please
don't hesitate to contact me if you need any additional information.

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT

Other birds seen/heard:
Great Blue Heron