Swamp Sparrow and others at Quail Creek Reservoir

Hello,
This afternoon (1/5), Steve Summers and I birded for a couple of hours in
Washington County.  Highlights included a female White-winged Scoter at Sand
Hollow Reservoir.  At Quail Creek we saw an immature Herring Gull with the
large Ring-billed Gull flock (there are a few California Gulls present as
well).  We also saw three Horned Grebes at the inflow end of the Reservoir
and briefly located a Swamp Sparrow at the inflow willow area (Cottonwood
and Quail Creek junction).  The Swamp Sparrow responded to Steve's pishing
by briefly posing for us, then returned to it's skulking in the dense
vegetation along the creek. There were also a couple Song Sparrows in the
area.

Happy New Year and good luck birding in 2003.

Rick Fridell,
Hurricane, UT