April Field Trip

Alas, a bit tardy, but better late than never. Bill

SAGE GROUSE AND MINERSVILLE RESERVOIR
April 6, 2002

Red Cliffs Audubon?s April field trip began at 5AM as we connected with
25 birders from St. George, Las Vegas, New Hampshire, Connecticut and
Cedar City, lead by Steve Hedges, we headed out for the Greater Sage
Grouse, Long Hollow lek West of the Parowan Gap. We were fortunate,
under the circumstances, to see three birds.

Following that, we headed north to Minersville Reservoir to take a look
at the late Wintering and early Spring birds, plus migrants. That?s
where we found the ?pot of gold?. Two Virginia Rails that gave us
outstanding looks for 30 minutes or more. They too, like the uncommon
Common Moorhens before them, thumbed their little gray cheeks at us.
What was amusing was the ?pig? sounds they made, which one of our
intrepid birders attempted to mimic. In total we saw 65 species when all
is said and done, in roughly eight hours. The following is an account of
the birds seen:

Enroute: Turkey Vulture, Golden Eagle, Western Scrub-Jay, Black-billed
Magpie, Common Raven, Ring-billed Gull.

Long Hollow Lek: American Kestrel, Greater Sage Grouse, Horned Lark,
Western Meadowlark.

Minersville: American Kestrel, Rock Dove, European Starling,
Black-billed Magpie, Common Raven, American Robin, Cedar Waxwing,
Great-tailed Grackle, House Finch, House Sparrow. Conspicuous in their
absences were the Pinyon Jays.

Minersville Reservoir: Common Loon, Pied-billed Grebe, Eared Grebe,
Western Grebe, American White Pelican, Double-crested Cormorant, Great
Blue Heron, Canada Goose, Green-winged Teal, Mallard, Northern Pintail,
Cinnamon Teal, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Ring-necked
Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Common Merganser, Red-breasted
Merganser, Ruddy Duck, Bald Eagle, Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk,
Golden Eagle, American Kestrel, Prairie Falcon, Wild Turkey, American
Coot, Killdeer, Black-necked Stilt, American Avocet, Long-billed Curlew,
Marbled Godwit, Franklin's Gull, California Gull, Say's Phoebe,
Black-billed Magpie, Common Raven, Tree Swallow, Northern Rough-winged
Swallow, Cliff Swallow, Barn Swallow, American Pipit, Savannah Sparrow
(spectacular yellow on the head, the brightest most had ever seen), Song
Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, Western
Meadowlark, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Brewer's Blackbird, Great-tailed
Grackle.

Adamsville Marsh: Canada Goose (on nest), Mallard, Cinnamon Teal, Golden
Eagle, Virginia Rail (in and out of the open - 50? away, working as a
mated pair, for all to see), Killdeer, Common Snipe (also excellent
looks), Barn Swallow, Red-winged Blackbird, Yellow-headed Blackbird.

Greenville: Mallard, Cinnamon Teal, Red-tailed Hawk (two dark morphs),
Killdeer, American Robin, White-crowned Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird,
Western Meadowlark.

Our next field trip is next Saturday, April 20th, and we are going to
the Moapa NWR.  This NWR is near the Nevada town of Glendale and is new
to us. Bring lunch, water and snacks. Temperatures in the mid 80s.
Moderate walking. Meet at the St. George BLM at 6:00AM(Mt. Time) or the
Burger
King in Mesquite at 6:00AM (Pacific time). This will also be our first
joint field trip with the Red Rock Chapter from Las Vegas.  A good
chance to meet some new folks!
Mahalo! (Bill Hunter)