At the preserve

Out at the preserve this morning, I pulled on my
rubber boots and headed for the marsh next to Higgins
Field where I found a Virginia rail and a lot of noisy
marsh wrens.  In Higgins Field, I had two female
pheasants fly out from under my feet, startling me
both times.  There was also plenty of yellow-rumped
warblers and I'm wondering if they will over winter
again this year.

Other birds that I observed were rock dove, northern
flicker, crow, magpie, raven, black-capped chickadee,
brown creeper, Bewick's wren, ruby-crowned kinglet,
hermit thrush, robin, spotted towhee, song sparrow,
white-crowned sparrow, junco and red-winged blackbird.
Out at the Central Pond, I did not see any ducks,
coots or geese.

The mosquitoes are gone.  The trees are turning gold.
It's a good time to come out to do some birdwatching.

                                  Marcy