yellow-billed cuckoo

Thought you all might like to know that we turned up a yellow-billed cuckoo in our Dirty Devil side canyons spotted owl inventories June 15th. It flew to a large, dense ash tree from a medium sized cottonwood in a well-spaced stringer along the mostly dry, bouldery wash of a narrow, very high walled canyon. Two miles either up canyon or down canyon and up a side canyon was a mixed deciduous, predominantly cottonwood gallery forest of approximately 100 trees each. There are also intermittant springs and cottonwood trees throughout the canyon. Apparently the first documented in the Dirty Devil canyons. Don't let the model fool you--this is canyon country, and many seemingly strange things are possible!

Dan