unusual sighting and intro

I am new to this list although have been in Moab for a few years.  My name
is Hilary Ward and I am an interested naturalist in many aspects of local
flora and fauna, including birds.  I have found this site thanks to some
interest I had in an unusual sighting and Elbertine pointing the way to
find all of you.

I live on the north end of town, out on Hobbs St.  Last Saturday morning,
about 11 am, I looked out to see what at first glance looked like a
mourning dove sitting on the top of one of my seed feeders.  But something
was wrong with that so I looked again and to my surprise it was not a
mourning dove but a WHITE WINGED DOVE.  The white on its wings and tail
were quite clear as was its rounded tail as it flew off several minutes
later.  I have never seen one in Moab before and looked in my book and
found that they are very rare north of about Phoenix.  It seemed quite
content to sit and simply look around with great care for a few minutes,
it did not eat.

On another note, my brother, John Liller, will be in town next week. Some
of you may remember him from earlier visits.  He is from Massachusetts and
has come and done some volunteer work with Damion at the Nature
Conservancy.  Anyway, he would really enjoy having some birding
enthusiasts to go out birding with while he is here (from late May 17th to
early May 25th).  If anyone is interested or is planning any birding
outings please let me know.  I can be reached at hward@sisna.com or
259-1755.

Thanks!

Hilary Ward