couple of surprises

Friday on my way home from work as I was getting on the on ramp at 700 North and 215 (Northbound) a Snowy Egret flew right in front of my car and landed in the drainage canal on the side of the road. That is my first winter Snowy Egret in Salt Lake ever. 3 Weeks ago I saw a great Egret at Lee Kay Ponds but haven't seen it since.

Saturday During a teacher training at Farmington Bay we saw between 20 and 30 Bald Eagles out on the ice, when I returned yesterday the ice had all melted and there were only two eagles visible sitting on a snag a couple of hundred yards out in the water. Saturday we saw one pelican out feeding in the middle of a huge flock of gulls, when we returned yesterday there where 3 pelicans feeding west of the dike at the boat ramp area. Saturday as we were heading out of the main dike area a coyote ran across the road right in front of our van, that's my first coyote at Farmington Bay.

Yesterday we also saw about 15 greater and lesser yellow legs, lots of Blue Herons and lots of Shovelers, Gadwall, pintails and the other usual ducks.

Happy Birding
Steve