Fw: [IBLE] Looking for Snowy Owls

----- Original Message -----
From: Cliff and Lisa Weisse
To: IBLE
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 7:49 AM
Subject: Looking for Snowy Owls

 Since there seems to be a lot of interest in Snowy Owls I thought I'd
make a suggestion to anyone looking for one.  White may not be the color
you're looking for.  All ages except adult male are, or at least can be,
heavily marked with black.  Enough to appear dark at a distance.  Some
first year females are white only on the facial discs.  Since it's more
likely that a female and/or young bird will show up I'm going to take a
better look at any large raptor that isn't obviously a buteo no matter
what color they appear to be.  The good news is those dark individuals
won't be as hard to spot against snow as I thought they would.  Here's a
link to an article that shows how to age Snowy Owls.
http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/JFO/v051n02/p0149-p0160.pdf  You may not be
interested in knowing how to age them but the photos show how
extensively dark they can be.

Here's another link to photos of a heavily marked individual that's
currently being seen at Portland Airport in OR.
http://home.pacifier.com/~birder/snowy.html

Cliff

Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, ID
october@ida.net

To view archived messages go to:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ible

To view the IBLE Photos archive go to:

  c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.