From: Cliff and Lisa Weisse
To: IBLE
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:07 PM
Subject: Little Gull / Island Park Reservoir

I've been very busy lately and really needed a day to rest.  Thanks to
Brian Carrigan's report of a Hudsonian Godwit I didn't get to rest
today.  Also thanks to that report I was fortunate to see a first summer
Little Gull at Island Park Reservoir.  Photos are posted at
www.octoberweb.com/birds/ligu.  To get to the location take US 20 to
Island Park and take turn west just north of Pond's Lodge.  The turn is
marked with a boat ramp sign and is directly across the highway from the
entrance to Buffalo Campground, a National Forest CG.  When you get to
the crossroad at the dike go straight and make the next left on a two
track road through the willows.  When you come to the lake shore you'll
see an area of open water surrounded by rocky islands and a peninsula to
your right.  The bird was roosting on the peninsula and foraging over
the water right in front of you.  It roosted closer to the Forster's
Terns than to the Ring-billed Gulls and wasn't closely associating with
either.  I'm going to look for the bird again in the morning and will
post an update.

Other birds on the reservoir included one Pectoral Sandpiper, a few
Western, Baird's and Least Sandpipers, Avocets, both Yellowlegs,
Killdeer and three Semipalmated Plovers.  There were still lots of
Franklin's Gulls and ducks on the west end but I didn't bird it
thoroughly.  I also saw a Common Loon and a Horned Grebe.

Cliff

Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, ID
october@ida.net

To view archived messages go to:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ible

To view the IBLE Photos archive go to:

      Nikon d70 digital camera  Birding  Zoom lens

  c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.