Seeing-Eye Birders at AIC

I benefited from the efforts of two seeing-eye birders at Antelope Island Causeway today.  If you're like me, just get up late and go birding to the same destination that Jack Binch and Bob Parsons select before you do.  When you run into them, they'll tell you about all the good stuff they found and where they found it, and you can breeze your way through the place.

Jack tipped me off about the Dunlin and the peeps around mile marker 2.  Later, Bob passed ol' slow-poke me and looped back to tell me he had come across two Dunlins.  When I made it to the spot, there were three.  Do you suppose there would have been one more every time a birder passed that way?  Believe it!  When I passed by again on the return trip, there was a fourth Dunlin.  The first three were together and almost completely in breeding plumage.  The fourth one was completely in winter plumage, poking along the shore next to a spring Dunlin.  It was a great opportunity to see the alternate and basic plumages of the same species as the two birds poked along together.

I also saw the Western Sandpipers--about 20 total--and the hundreds of Sanderlings Jack mentioned.  I missed the Least Sandpiper; boo-hoo.  I didn't find the Horned Grebe Bob told me about at the north side of the bridge near mm 1, but I later found one far to the south between mm 1 and 0.  The Horned Grebe associated with a raft of Eared Grebes.  Perhaps it was the same bird Bob found.

Generally speaking, most of the large shorebirds were far off the Causeway south of mm 5 and 6 as Jack described in a previous birdtalk post.  I had an additional opportunity to see three or four fly in and land with the hundreds of others that were poking there.  The birds folded their startling black-and-white zebra wings and then became large, non-descript shorebirds.  I believe most of them were Willets.  A few bigger shorebirds sprinkled throughout the flock were buffier with longer, up-turned bills.  Somebody with a better scope than I have, please get out there and tell us if the big ones are Marbled Godwits!  American Avocets and Black-necked Stilts also waded along the Causeway or at the marina.

A pair of Blue-winged Teal kept company with a male and three female Lesser Scaups north of the Causeway and just east of the first bend between mm 4 and 3.   Other waterfowl enjoying the lake included Mallards, Northern Shovelers, Gadwall, and Cinnamon Teal.  Water birds or waders in the area included American Pelicans, American Coots, White-faced Ibises, Long-billed Curlews, many Great Blue Herons and Double-crested Cormorants Kris-crossing the surface, California Gulls, and about a dozen black-headed, rosy-tinged Franklin Gulls.

Everyone gets excited with first-of-the-year sightings, right?  Well, I saw my first Brown-headed Cowbird of the year--Woo-hoo!  I also saw Brewer's Blackbirds, Western Meadowlarks, Common Ravens, American Pipits, an American Kestrel, Killdeer, and Tree, Barn, and Rough-winged Swallows.

It was a good day, and it only took me 5 hours to breeze my way across the Causeway.  Believe it or not, I'm getting quicker.  You, too, can have a good day at Antelope Island Causeway.  Just call Jack and Bob, the seeing-eye birders, and get them to go out there before you arrive.

Kris