My first posting in a while

Hi all

This is my first posting in a while, as I've been busy writing grant proposals for work.  I've not been too busy to bird, however.

Today, Jill and I went with the Bridgerland Audubon on their field trip to Bear River.  It was a great trip.  The highlights were many.  We had many ducks, grebes, Stilts, Avocets, Yellow-headed Blackbirds (a lifer for Jill, I saw my first on my way to work in Logan on Tuesday), swallows, and other good stuff, such as Marsh Wrens, Willets (my favorite shore bird), Franklin's Gulls, Long-billed Curlews and Greater Yellowlegs.  We also birded some in Hyrum this morning before we left and also when we got home.

Thanks to Dick Hurren for leading us and to Jim and Reinhart for letting us ride in their car.

Here's what we saw today:

Hyrum (H), Logan (L), Brigham City (BC), Bear River MBR (BR), Hyrum State Park (HSP), 4/10/2004
Length: 57

Contents:
Common Loon HSP (there are a lot of Loons on the lake)
Pied-billed Grebe BR
Eared Grebe BR
Western Grebe BR
Clark's Grebe BR, HSP
American White Pelican BR
Double-crested Cormorant BR, HSP
Great Blue Heron BR
White-faced Ibis BR
Canada Goose BR
Gadwall BR
American Wigeon BR
Mallard BR, HSP
Cinnamon Teal BR
Northern Shoveler BR
Northern Pintail BR
Canvasback BR
Redhead BR
Lesser Scaup BR
Bufflehead BR
Red-breasted Merganser HSP
Ruddy Duck BR
Osprey HSP
Northern Harrier BR
Cooper's Hawk H
Merlin/Prairie Falcon BR
Ring-necked Pheasant BR
American Coot BR
Sandhill Crane BR
Killdeer BR
Black-necked Stilt BR
American Avocet BR
Greater Yellowlegs BR
Willet BR
Long-billed Curlew BR
Franklin's Gull BR
Ring-billed Gull HSP
California Gull BR
Rock Pigeon L
Mourning Dove H
Black-billed Magpie H, HSP
American Crow L
Common Raven BR
Horned Lark BR
Tree Swallow BR
Cliff Swallow BR
Black-capped Chickadee HSP
Marsh Wren BR
American Robin H, HSP
European Starling H, BR
Savannah Sparrow BR
White-crowned Sparrow HSP
Red-winged Blackbird H, BR
Western Meadowlark BR
Yellow-headed Blackbird L, BR
House Finch H
House Sparrow BR

I listed the Merlin/Prairie Falcon, as we saw a falcon at the refuge, but we weren't sure what it was.  To me, it looked like a Prairie Falcon, as it was brown on top.
I'm currently up to almost 150 species, and over 100 for Utah for the year.  This was our best day of birding so far in Utah.

Good birding,
Richard