Dino-Jensen CBC results

We had 5 intrepid birders show up for the Dinosaur NM-Jensen CBC last Saturday, despite a snowstorm that lasted most of the morning.  The weather cleared up before lunch and gave us a beautiful day to finish the count.  One new species was seen for this circle - a northern mockingbird at Stewart Lake Waterfowl Mgmt area.  I had a Harris’s sparrow at my feeder the week of the count, but couldn’t find one inside the circle.  Ditto for a couple great horned owls that had been hanging around Jensen, but hid themselves as soon as the count started.  Still, we did slightly better than average with 38 species and 3138 individuals (mostly thanks to a huge flock of geese seen in fields along the Green River).  The complete species list is given below.

Kathy

Canada goose               1200

Mallard                          54

Blue-winged teal            13

Common goldeneye       2

Bufflehead                     4

Common merganser       1

Bald eagle                     12  (7 adult, 2 juvenile, 3 unspecified)

Northern harrier              6

Red-tailed hawk             4

Rough-legged hawk        3

Golden eagle                 4

American kestrel            7

Prairie falcon                 2

Ring-necked pheasant    4

Sandhill crane                125 (feeding with the geese)

Rock Dove                     133

Northern flicker              10 (all red-shafted)

Northern shrike              1

Say’s phoebe                1

Horned lark                    333

Western scrub jay          1