Trip South- R Egret, EC Dove, TT Woodpecker, P Grosbeak.

I went on vacation with the family to Cedar Breaks NM. We took the long way down and I did as much birding along the way as I could.

8-19: At Scipio Lake (Millard Co) there were lots of WF Ibis and E Grebes.
There were shorebirds at Rocky Ford Res. (Sevier Co) W Sandpiper, L and G Yellowlegs, Sp Sandpiper, BN Stilt, and Killdeer along with other common birds.
At a roadside rest stop north of Marysvale (Piute Co) I got a C Nutcracker and WT Swifts and the south end of Piute Res was full of birds - AW Pelican, Sn and C Egrets, GB Heron, C Tern, and lots of Grebes and Ducks.

8-20: I saw lots of fun birds at Cedar Breaks and Brian Head (Iron Co)- D and H Woodpeckers, Rufous and BT Hummingbirds, W Wood-pewee, C Nutcracker, St Jay, VG Swallow, Mt Bluebird, Am Pipit, Br Creeper, Rock Wren, W Tanager to name a few.
I next stopped at Panguitch Lake (Garfield Co) and saw many birds. It?s a nice place to bird. I wish I had more time there.
Navajo Lake (Kane Co) is a nice place also. Some of the more interesting birds there included Downy, Hairy, and Three-toed Woodpeckers, GT Towhee, OC Warbler, and Linc Sparrow. The Three-toed Woodpeckers where chipping bark of dead fir trees along side the road at the west end of the lake.
Then, thank to Larry, I had to make an inconvenient, out of the way side trip to Gunlock Res.(Washington Co) where luckily I was able to see the Reddish Egret quite well with my scope from the parking area overlooking the north end of the reservoir. It wouldn't dance for me.

8-21: On the road out to Strawberry Point there was a meadow full of Mt Bluebirds and Vesper Sparrows gorging on grasshoppers.  Also along the road were OS Flycatcher, WT Swift, RB Nuthatch, W Tanager, Ch Sparrow, and Rock Wren.
On SR 150 from Junction into the Tushar Mts (Piute Co) I found a Peregrine Falcon on a dead snag and on FR 123 up near Delano Peak (Beaver Co) I found a flock of Pine Grosbeaks, a G Eagle, C Nutcracker and very beautiful scenery.
In Beaver a Eurasian Collared-Dove flew right over my head and landed on a power line in a park at the corner of main and center. He posed for me there so I could take a good long look at him.

Thanks everyone for your reports on birdtalk. It sounds like people are getting out birding again.

Eric Huish
Pleasant Grove UT
poorwill_@hotmail.com
801-360-8777

MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month. _______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________