Of Carrion and Can-Can Dancers

I forgot to mention in yesterday's Fruit Eater's Anonymous post that I was actually headed to Powder Mountain Ski Area to bird.  Because I stopped to watch the Osprey and the fruit eaters for an extended period, I didn't get to the mountain until about 12:00.  I really wanted to get up there early...oh well.

On the canyon ascent I rounded a curve just in time to see a big brown raptor gliding to a landing on the road about 200 feet in front of me.  I came to a quick stop to watch him--I left no rubber on the road, but thank goodness for ABS brakes.  It was a young Golden Eagle.  He hopped, bow-legged and unconcerned, to a dark spot on the asphalt.  I watched him pick up a dessicated wafer in his beak, run a few steps to gain speed, and then launch himself down the road in my direction.  He glided and flapped past me at eye level.  As he flapped I could see the spotty lighter plumage on his underwing coverts.  He was holding the wafer in his beak like a small dark frisbee.  He disappeared between the golden grassy canyon wall and a few dark fir trees.  I pulled up to the spot where he had plucked up the wafer to see a small, dark, greasy spot on the road and one pale gray flight feather.  I was surprised.  My understanding is that Golden Eagles don't feed as much on carrion as do Bald Eagles.  Perhaps this one's cupboard was bare!

The other interesting thing I saw at Powder Mountain was a female Broad-tailed Hummingbird harvesting tiny flies from a cloud of them churning in the shade of a fir tree not 10 feet in front of me.  Occasionally, she was just 6 feet away.  I watched her acrobatic and aerobatic harvesting for a minute at a time until she landed nearby and rested.  It was great entertainment to see her from the back, white-edged tail feathers flicking and fanning out as she twisted and whirled and snapped for the next fly.  I had the sense that I was at the back of the stage watching a can-can dancer dressed in emerald.  Occasionally her flicking and fanning caused her white petticoat to peep out.  Pardon me, Miss!  Your slip is showing!

Kris