Fwd: NM birders in UT

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
It was submitted by CJ Grimes cjgrimes@hotmail.com on Monday, April 28, 2003 at 22:45:08

Subject: NM birders in UT

Email_Address: cjgrimes@hotmail.com

Message: Sarah Beckwith and I had a full day of birding today, beginning with the Henefer grouse lek. On the way there we saw a couple Sage Grouse along the road shoulder, and 21 more at the booming ground itself. The big surprise was a Short-eared Owl fly-by. (Also, we had called the state department of wildlife last week and were told that we were too late to see any grouse. Good thing we didn't listen to them and called some local Utah birders!) Vesper Sparrows and meadowlarks sang plenty of background music.
Down the road Common Loons were calling at South Canyon Reservoir.
From there we went to Bear River Refuge where we were impressed by the
number of ibis, gulls and curlews, three of which were Whimbrels (on the entrance road just past the "10 miles" sign). 2 gulls were Bonaparte's, and we managed to find only one Forster's Tern in 3 hours. A lone Merlin zoomed past around mile 7 of the loop.
Antelope Island was our final destination, and although I was surprised by the lake level compared to previous visits, it was worthwhile. We found the reported thousands of Western Sanpipers with hundreds of Sanderlings - no Least's (in UT AZ or NM this spring!). A few Willets and Lesser Yellowlegs joined the throngs of avocets and stilts. About 6 Common Goldeneye mixed w/the Eared Grebes on the north side of the westernmost culvert. Finally, at the visitor center, a very cooperative Chukar sat atop the amphitheater and posed for digi-scoped photos.
A successful trip to some incredible places!

CJ Grimes