great month in Cache County

Judy and I have seen this month two Cackling Geese at the Logan River Golf
Club.   Thayers, Herring, and one first winter Glaucous-winged Gull at the
Logan landfill.  We have had 7 separate sightings of Prairie Falcons.  They
seem to be all over the valley.  A Harlan's Hawk is hanging out in
Smithfield for the last 10 days.  We have seen 2 Pigmy Owls, 2 Barn Owls;
regrettably we have not seen any Boreal Owls.  The location of the Barn Owls
is interesting.  John Barns located these birds on the Christmas count, in a
hole at the top of a very steep gravel pit embankment in the mouth of Birch
Canyon.  We finally found the one and only Lapland Longspur after searching
through 3 to 4 thousand Horned Larks at several locations during the last
week. The Longspur was sited where others have seen it on highway 23.
White-throated sparrows have been seen at three different locations this
winter.  We were able to see one on the Logan Golf and Country Club canal
trail.  There are lots of fun birds in Cache Valley this winter.  Keith and
Judy