No Boreal Owl

I met up with Dennis and Bryan Shirley as well as Steve Carr to look
for the Boral Owl this afternoon.  WE went up the canyon but weren't
sure exactly where the bird was found, and we did not see any human
tracks in the side canyon where the bird was seen.  At around 2:30
Kirk Earl (the fella who found the bird), showed up and led us as well
as Keith and Judy Archibald to the location of the two trees where he
saw the bird.  We spent several hours looking, to no avail. Steve and
I had to leave, and as we left Larene Wyss and the Bonds were on their
way to take a shot at the bird.

In any event here are directions to those interested in testing their luck:

>From Logan, head up US-89 about 10 miles, this may be a little far as
my GPS showed we weren't there yet and we passed it.  IN any event
there is a Ranger Station on the north side of the road, and a small
road that crosses a bridge on the south(right side).  Turn right here,
beware the road is snowy and you need a 4 Wheel Drive Vehicle, or you
may get stuck.  Follow the road about 3/10 of a mile aroudn the curve
to the "parking area".  There is a sign that say closed gate 500 feet.
 PArk here and walk to the gater, continue up the canyon abou 1/2
mile, you will come to another gate across the trail.  This is where
you hang a left up the draw into a bowl to the east.  You can see
where our snow shoes headed off into the Juniper.  The trail we
created is fairly defined and easy to follow.  It heads east, maybe
1/4 to 1/2 a mile.  The area is at the bottom of the canyon, with the
sout slope being Juniper and the north slope being conifer.  The
nearest GPS reading I have is:

111*39'10.25" W
41*45'45.25" N

This is fairly close to where the bird was seen.

The path wasnt bad, snow shoes will help once you get off the main
path up into the second canyon.  If you find the bird, please give it
space, and do not over play a call (or use a call at all, at least for
the rest of the month).  If you have any more questions, please  feel
free to email me back channel!

Good Birding

Tim