From: David Parent<mailto:dpdvm@whidbey.com>
To: stevecarr9@msn.com<mailto:stevecarr9@msn.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:30 PM
Subject: Temple Square Gyrfalcon

Hello Steve,

I am an avid birder from Whidbey Island, Washington. My wife and I
visited Salt Lake City from December 8 through December 11. We spent our
entire time in and around Temple Square.

On Friday morning, December 9 at 8:40am my wife and I were walking south
on the closed street between the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and the
temple. I looked back into the gap between the JSMB and the Church
Office Building and saw a large pale grey falcon flying toward us about
thirty feet off the ground on a direct southwesterly course. I had heard
that peregrine falcons roosted or nested on the JSMB so I assumed this
was one of them. As the bird flew nearer I noticed a very weak facial
pattern. At this point I assumed that it must be a very large female
prairie falcon. As it flew over our heads, I noticed that black
axillaries, typical of a prairie falcon,  were missing. The bird flew
over Temple Square with slower, and more powerful wingbeats than a
typical peregrine. (The gyrfalcons I have observed on the Samish Flats
north of here always appear like they cover a whole lot of ground with
minimal effort.)

I saw your name as heading up the CBC so I thought you might like to
alert your teams to this possibility. Hopefully, this bird can be
relocated. I suspect this bird roosts in the mountains and hunts during
the day on the flats southeast of town (possibly following the same
course each day?). If you do relocate it, please let me know. Also, if
there is an aberrant falcon or lost falconer's bird in the area, I'd
like to know. If you'd like any more information, I would be happy to
provide it.

Sorry for the late report. I didn't have internet access until I got
home. Best of luck on your upcoming CBC!

Dave Parent, Freeland, WA dpdvm@whidbey.com<mailto:dpdvm@whidbey.com>