Fw: Photos of an unusual bird

I was working on my security system about the time the following reply
was submitted, and it apparently didn't go through.

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Carr<mailto:stevecarr9@msn.com>
To: Utah Birds<mailto:utahbirds@netscape.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2005 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: Photos of an unusual bird

There are many interesting aspects about this bird.  It does appear to
be a healthy goldfinch, eating nyjer seed from the bag as it is.  The
underparts, back and nape are bright yellow, which would favor the
American.  The head is almost hooded, with an odd reddish color that is
more extensive than the Lesser would show.  Hybrid colorations usually
produce one color or the other in the usual areas of concern, but it is
not unheard of to get a completely different color result.  There also
appears to be an asymmetrical patch of reddish on the left chest,
although it may be just on the throat.  In either case it is unusual for
a goldfinch.  The undertail coverts are indistinct, but appear more
light or light-grayish, which again favors the American.  The uppertail
coverts are white, favoring the American.  The bill appears grayish,
favoring the Lesser.

The proximal half of the wings is blackish without wingbars, again more
likely to be American, but the distal half of the wings and tail are
totally white.  Then, that tail!  It is apparently malformed with
strangely shaped feathers.

This critter could be a partially albinistic hybrid American/Lesser
Goldfinch.  I would expect to see more greenish or heavy grayish, or
even reddish, on the back if it were a hybrid.  Or it could be an
American Goldfinch with several mutational aspects causing the strange
color pattern, partial albinism and the deformed tail.

--Steve Carr

  Peter Anderson of Orem sent in some photos of a very unusual bird.
Does anybody have any ideas about what this bird is?

  Link:

http://utahbirds.org/hotlinephotos/Goldfinch.htm<http://utahbirds.org/hot
linephotos/Goldfinch.htm>