Fwd: More on the Dunlin

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:43:24 -0600 (MDT)

It was submitted by Josh, Cary, and soon-to-be-born Baby Kreitzer

Subject: More on the Dunlin

Email_Address: joshkreitzer@yahoo.com

Message: As Tuula mentioned, Cheryl Peterson, Bonnie Williams, and I were able to find the Dunlin Thursday afternoon. My wife and I arrived first, and lacking a scope, we scanned the shorebirds without much chance of identifying anything but the larger birds. I prayed for a scope, and three showed up! Cheryl was first, and as I scanned the many dowitchers I found something a little different. I had just looked through Cheryl's Sibley guide and seen what a Dunlin looked like in winter plumage...and there it was! I was so excited! It was a lifebird for me, and my wife got to see it also. I was impressed by the species richness in the area, besides Dunlin we found: Northern Harrier, Great Blue Heron, American White Pelican, Marbled Godwit (Cheryl picked it out), Greater Yellowlegs, Killdeer, Pectoral Sandpiper (about 3 so pretty!), Dowitchers galore, American Avocets in winter plumage, Pied-billed Grebe (my wife pointed it out, just as Cheryl and I went over to see it, it dove ! and
 really surprised her), Marsh Wren, Black-capped Chickadee, House Finch, Yellow-rumped Warbler, American Goldfinch, Ring-necked Pheasant (perhaps being hunted...), many Ring-billed Gulls, and a White-crowned Sparrow. Oh, I noted that Dunlin was reported only on Birdtalk, not on the Birdnet (which is the site I personally check more often.) Better Birding!

Josh, Cary, and soon-to-be-born Baby Kreitzer