S. Utah 10/15-16 - Winter Wren, etc.

Hello All,
The post about the Winter Wren reminded me that I should probably post a few highlights from a trip that my wife (Amanda) and I took to Zion NP, Quail Creek Reservoir, Snow Canyon SP and Pine Valley NF this past weekend.

Winter Wren - 1 (and likely 2) at the foot of the Pine Valley Reservoir dam on 10/15 Saw and heard them. Tiny size, unique call, short tail and heavy barring on the flanks helped distinguish them from the somewhat similar House Wren. I'm 99% sure there was two but I only got good looks at one at a time.

Also at Pine Valley: Townsend's Solitaire (15+), Mt. Chickadee, Brown Creeper (1), G-c and R-c Kinglets, American Robin, R-b Nuthatch R-n Sapsucker, Hairy Woodpecker.
On the way down (near Pine Valley), I got a quick look at a Barn Swallow on a wire.

N end of a high Quichapa Lake (didn't see the Oldsquaw)
Wilson's Snipe (1)
American Coot (~1000+)
Redhead (5)
Ring-necked Duck (1 Female)
N. Pintail (6 - Probable - flyover, all females)
Eared Grebe (15)
Pied-billed Grebe (1)

On Quail Creek Reservoir (seen from the State Park Campground):
Western Grebe (4)
Eared Grebe (1)
Northern Shoveler (20)
A. Coot (30)
Rock Wren
Say's Phoebe

And, along I-15 on our way home Sunday night, we saw at least 2 Great Horned Owls perched and ready to hunt in the bright moonlight...one atop a small tree and another atop one of the abundant billboards.

Good Birding,
Matt Williams
Provo, UT